LIFE LIFE

As'hambe K3

Sunday 14 August 2011

Cartoonist Extraordinaire

By: I.Life



Bethuel Mangena, is Sunday World’s Award wining Political and Social Cartoonist. Born in Tzaneen and nurtured in Phalaborwa, Mangena's story is a true heart warming tale that can easily enduce glistening tears in one's eyes. As the Son of a Miner and a Domestic Worker, Mangena's gift of Drawing was revealed during tender childhood years, through intricate drawings depicting his Grandfather herding cattle in the grazing fields. This unique gift followed Mangena through to Secondary School, where his Teacher's strongly encouraged him to further his studies within the Arts. 

A young Mangena in the year 2002

After completing his Matric, Mangena enrolled for a three year course in Fine Arts at Wits Technikon, unfortunately he had to cease his studies in his final year due to financial difficulties. Not being one to give up on his dreams, Mangena approached the NFVF (National Film and Video Foundation) pleading for assistance with his studies. The NFVF heard his call and awarded him a Bursary to go and enhance his craft. Mangena then opted to go and study 3D Animation at Boston Media House. In 2002, Mangena’s dreams of traveling Overseas became a reality. Mangena was invited to exhibit his work amongst the World’s best in France courtesy of the French Institute, alongside South Africa’s leading Cartoonist, Jonathan Shapiro (Zapiro) as well as Rico the renowned Madam& Eve Cartoonist.


In 2008 Mangena won the Best Cartoon Award at the Vodacom Journalist Of The Year Awards.


Fast foward to the 2011, Tshepo Mathari re-unites with this humble Legend @ Sophiatown in Newtown Johannesburg. Here is what went down...

I.Life: Mangena, jeepers it must be hard to be a Political Cartoonist in Mzantsi! You must be a very brave soul, how do you mock the likes of Jacob Zuma and Julius Malema in your Cartoons and still be alive today?

Mangena: We live in a very liberal country fortunately freedom of speech is allowed however censorship is still very rife. I work in an environment that allows me to be highly creative when it comes to my work. 

I.Life: Have you received any death threats from any of the Politicians? 

Mangena: Lol, I haven't but a couple of complaints have landed on my Editors desk at Sunday World, my Editor understands what I do and effectively manages any form of dispute against the Cartoons that I produce.

I.Life: How is it like working for the Sunday World and how is working with the likes of Kuli Roberts?

Mangena: Its a fun environment there is never a dull moment in the office! Kuli and I are the greatest of friends, we spent alot of time together and have formed a great bond she is awesome at what she does and I respect that.

I.Life: Now, with that being said what do you get up to in the name of fun?

Mangena: I am a very shy person believe it or not, I stay out of the limelight and enjoy finer things like attending theater shows. I do also gym to keep healthy.

I.life: You definitely do not look 32! I'd say you haven't past 21. What are some of your immediate plans for the future?

Mangena: I have been working on a book and I'm planning on releasing it very soon, well once I get a publishing deal.


I.Life: What separates you from other Cartoonist in the Country?
Mangena: I am the first South African Political Cartoonist to introduce colour Cartoons in the Newspaper environment plus I am versatile with my Cartoons.

I.Life: I am impressed at how humble you are even though you are a Legend! How do you keep so grounded?

Mangena: I am passionate about my craft and that keeps me grounded... 

I.Life: Are you dating and are there any kids yet?

Magena: Laughs, none of the above. I have just come out of a very long term relationship and for now Cartoons are my kids.

I.Life: So where to from here?

Mangena: My book is my focus right now and time will tell on the rest.

I.Life: Great! we look forward to seeing your greatness between two covers! All the best Mr Cartoonist Extraordinaire.

Catch Mangena's work every Sunday in the Sunday World Newspaper!

Cartoon and Photo Credits:

B. Mangena
Sunday World



No comments:

Post a Comment