LIFE LIFE

As'hambe K3

Wednesday 13 July 2011

5 Minutes: George Gladwin Matsheke






By: i.Life

Now “BOOM” we bring you George aka “Gorgeous George” Matsheke! Enjoy...


i.Life: You need no intro, however who is George Gladwin Matsheke?

GM: I’m a Graphic Designer by Education, Art Director by Profession and a Creative Editor by Passion. I’m also a dreamer and I dream in colour! Vede ke ngwana wa ausi Daphney le abuti Moss – lover of magazines and design.

i.Life: You studied @ Boston Media House, how was that and what did you achieve from BMH?

GM: If it wasn’t for YFM and DJ Fresh I wouldn’t have been able to attend Boston Media House – so firstly a shout out to them. BMH is where I became who I am today, it was a proper foundation for me. That’s where Gorgeous George was born [A name from of one of my favourite all time movie-Snatch].

i.Life: Whilst on BMH...tell us more about DJ Fresh and the role he has played in your life!

GM: He changed everything – For which I’m forever grateful. My Mother is Cashier at Pick n Pay and Father was a small time Businessman. My dad passed away while I was in grade 11 and all my hopes of going to study after Matric disappeared. I knew what my Mother earned so studying further was a no go area... Things fell into place when I was awarded the bursary to study @Boston Media House – I knew there and then that I had to make it count.

i.Life: Your passion seems to lie in Magazines! Studio 83 is your baby, in 2011 (shim) is longer an infant but thee coolest kid on the block... what is this kid all about though?

GM: I started s83 in 2006 on Birthday, I had I just moved out of home and my Mother was not on speaking terms with me because I had moved out of her cocoon! I could not afford it at that time but it happened. s83 is a Creative Lifestyle magazine: We cover Photography, illustration, writing, insights about life and other subjects.

There is also Celebrate Life Magazine [cl.studio83.co.za] and Marvin [www.marvin.co.za] – but Marvin will happen when the time is right.

i.life: Your take on Magazines in S.A? Why did you choose the online route instead of printing Studio83?

GM: I love story telling and design – if you marry those two well you get nice quality magazines... Online is way cheaper than printing, well until we get enough money to print … it would be nice to print.

I.Life: Are you Rich? Well, you seem like a Khanyi Dhlomo in a male body! What are some of your plans for Studio 83?


GM: Nah, I’m far from it, I can’t even be compared to a Khanyi Dhlomo and I’m just a guy who has a thing about magazines that’s all.

i.Life: The success of Studio 83 is evident in that you have both Local and International followers, how are your readers responding to your Mags? Share some of their responses please!

GM: People out there appreciate s83 and sometimes that’s the only thing that keeps me going. Yeah, we get contributions from all over the world – it doesn’t matter where you are or from – good stuff is good stuff.

i.Life: The latest issue is hott and deserves some worthy praise! “Seven deadly sins” is the title...elaborate?

GM: We all sin, some commit more sins than others. Actually it was suggested by a friend and it sounded interesting to me and we got contributors together and what you have downloaded are the results.

i.Life: Where to from here 2011 and beyond?

GM: We would love to get investment, so that we can grow bigger than this …

i.Life: Besides Magazines what else tickles your fancy?

GM: I also love furniture design [interior design] – and I’d love to explorer that later in life. 

i.Life: A busy bee also needs to relax and enjoy the finer things in life, how does George find balance in his life?

GM: Ke ya jola, so that’s where I find time to relax and all.

i.Life: In closing, what drives you and what would you say to any aspiring Magazine Mogul?

GM: Dreams are not cheap. Dreams mean hard work – the hardest thing is to start and then the rest shall be history.




No comments:

Post a Comment